There are fast food restaurants on every corner and in every supermarket. In addition to fast foods, chemicals, growth hormones, GMOs, sugar and carb addictions, processed foods and super-sizing contribute to the obesity epidemic that is happening all over the world.
The image above shows some hurtful ads that are being run in Canada about obese kids. Read any report on childhood obesity and the percentage of young people who are overweight is alarming. Today, it is difficult to find active kids. They are all either on a phone or a tablet playing games instead of running outside, riding bicycles or skating. And worse, young people who are active have the worst diets, ever.
In my school, I see teens eating hot chips, kool-aid pickles and icing-heavy honey buns for breakfast, double-meat burgers and burritos for lunch, and sodas, chips and sports drinks for dinner because they are in some practice or club or other.
What's disturbing is that usually, overweight young people lead to overweight grown people. And by the time they get to that point, they have accumulated heart disease, high cholesterol, diabetes, or some other life-threatening illness to add to their weight.
What can we do to stop it? What will you do? How do you feel when you see kids who are overweight? How do you feel when you see the diet and lifestyle of overweight young people?
Read the commentary above, then comment on the following: "How can we as a society make a difference in childhood and teen obesity?"
1. INCLUDE: First initial AND last name AND class period.
2. Respond in no more than 10 sentences and no less than five.
3. You MUST respond to at least TWO other posts from any student. Your replies cannot be identical comments on different posts and posting shallow comments such as "I agree" or "I disagree" will earn you a zero. Make sure your reply addresses the comment that you are responding to.
Be sure to--
- Be clear about your position
- Provide specific support for your argument
- Use rhetorical devices and other grammar elements
- Write EPIC Content-Engaging, Powerful, Informative, Creative
CAUTION!! Do NOT embarrass me, yourself, your class, the English department, the school or your parents with tasteless, meaningless comments. This is for a grade.
DISCLAIMER: If you do not respond AND comment on TWO others, you will not receive credit for this assignment. It's all or nothing.
Due: Fri., Oct. 19, 2018 11:59 p.m. CST